Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 02:02:31 +1030 (CST)
From:      kibbet <kibbet@knfpub.com>
To:        Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAIN

On 30-Jan-00 Mike Andrews wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, kibbet wrote:
>>
>> > /me looks at the bunch of 386 mobo's... lets not go there.. :)
>>
>> /me looks at the stack of 386sx chips he has and wonders why no-one did 8
>> way SMP with these!
>
> uky.edu once had a Sequent Symmetry with twenty-six 386DX's in it -- 20
> mhz if I remember right.  Interesting box, to say the least...

Certainly sounds interesting.

Back a couple of years a friend (electronics guru) and I wanted to do some
PP'ing for a little astronomy project. It never eventuated but we were thinking
of a tying the 6 odd 486's together directly via a pci to pci circuit. We wanted
SPEED though so we tossed around the idea of direct pc/pc communication via SIMM
sockets.  Idea being, chunk of ram for local processing, starting on a SIMM
boundary a circuit (running at cpu bus speed) to communicate with the other
pc's.

All highly unlikely, but logic didn't enter into it back then :)

Cheers...

Kent Ibbetson
kibbet@knfpub.com