Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:16:27 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sybase vs. shared memory?

Hi,

> > 00:1998/11/23 07:57:25.78 kernel  kbcreate: couldn't create kernel region.
> > 00:1998/11/23 07:57:25.79 kernel  kistartup: could not create shared memory
> > Hmmm, any hints?
>
> You need something like this:
> options         SHMMAXPGS=4096          # Gobs of SHM for Sybase
ok. done this. I have to admit, that I've thought about this being
the problem, but I've just overseen the option in LINT.

> in your kernel config.  It has also been discovered that setting
> maxusers to 32 works.  With 64, the dataserver falls flat with
> segfaults.  So, set maxusers to 32 initially and try adjusting it
> from there if you get things working.
strange. ... But the server ist running with maxusers=128 anyways.

But now I have another problem; during the configuration process
with ./install/sybinit (accepting the obvious defaults) the
'dataserver' gets startet but it seems that 'sybinit' and 'dataserver'
can't communicate.

I got the message:

: Running task: create the master device.
: Building the master device
: ...Done
: Task succeeded: create the master device.
: Running task: update the SQL Server runserver file.
: Task succeeded: update the SQL Server runserver file.
: Running task: boot the SQL Server.
: waiting for server 'TSE-SYBASE' to boot...
:
: INTERNAL ERROR: Could not locate message number '514' for
: product 'SQL Server' in message cache.

I've attached  ./install/errorlog to this message.

I'm really concerned about buggering the list with these kind of
problems; but I currently don't have a real linux-server as a reference.

More thanks in advance,
    Andreas

--
/// TSE TeleService GmbH  |  Gsf: Arne Reuter        |
/// Hovestrasse 14        |       Andreas Braukmann  | We do it with