Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 95 18:40:32 BS3
From:      ruy@VNET.IBM.COM
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mouse support and X configuration tool

Hello,

OK, I just solved my PATH problems and now the "xinit" command is trying to
work. The catch is that now it gives me this charmig message:

Fatal server error:
Cannot open mouse (no such file or directory)

I have installed FreeBSD on an IBM Aptiva. On the X configuration tool I
selected (wrongly, I guess) the Microsoft mouse support. Now when I boot
from diskette and try to access the X configuration tool, it won't let me.

I changed the file XF86Config file (Section "Pointer") from:

Protocol     "Microsoft"
Device       "/dev/mouse"

to:

Protocol     "PS/2"
Device       "/dev/mouse"

but it still will give me the same Fatal server error message all over.

I don't know if this is the right place for placing these awkward questions,
but - although I am fairily familiarized with UNIX - it's the first time I
try running this operating system, and I do have this bias against Intel
based machines. If there is a more apropriate procedure for getting help,
please point me in it's direction and I'll be glad to leave you in peace.

Anyway, thanks for your support!

Ruy Flavio de Oliveira