Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:44:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet root login

You could change your /etc/ttys file to allow "secure" logins on pty's,
but that is not generally accepted.

You need to login as a non-root user who is a member of the group "wheel"
and use the su command to become root.

Telnet packets can be snooped and reconstructed, allowing others to know
your root password. You should look insto installing "stel" or "ssh" and
using these instead of telnet. Disable telnet completely if possible.

This should have been sent to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.

Kevin