Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:52:56 -0800
From:      "Sean Noonan" <noonans@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
To:        <mobile@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <snoonan@snoonan.com>
Subject:   2nd attempt - Sony VAIO PCG-GR250P and Intel PRO/100 VE NIC and boot hangs

Hi List,

First, forgive the length of this email.  I want to make sure I give enough
information to make it possible for some kind soul to be able to help me :-)
I posted a shorter version of this to -questions about a week ago and never
got a nibble (except for one guy with a Think Pad that said 'me too').

I have a brand new Sony VAIO notebook, model PCG-GR250P.  It has the
following specs:

1 GHz Intel PIIIm Processor
BIOS Version/Date is Phoenix Technologies LTD R0222C0, 9/3/2001
Total Physical Memory is 256 MB
Intel 82830 Processor to AGP Controller
Graphics Card is ATI Mobility Radeon, 16 MB DDR
Hard Drive is generic 20 GB ATA
TI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Card (integrated)
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio by Analog Devices, Inc.
Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data,Fax ICH Modem (integrated)
Intel 82801CAM Ultra ATA Storage Controller-248A
Matshita UJDA710 Combo DVD/CDRW drive
Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Sony "Jog Dial"
HP external USB 1.44 floppy
OS is (hopefully was) Windows XP Pro

Goal:

Get FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE on this box and functioning!

Notes/Observations:

The first thing I did was use Partition Magic to consolidate and shrink the
existing HD partitions to make room for FreeBSD.  No problems encountered.
XP Pro is on 1st 10GB, 2nd 10GB is devoted to FreeBSD.  Installed a GNU boot
manager.  So far so good.

I began to install 4.4-RELEASE in my ususal manner--install from the two
boot floppies, FTP the rest.  To my suprise the HP USB floppy *was*
recognized, though it did take forever to read the disks themselves.  Just
as the GUI was about to pop up, the system would hang hard.  I figured it
was the USB floppy drive (after all it did take a long time to read the
disks), so I decided to download the 4.4 ISO images and burn them to CD and
install that way.

While the ISO images were downloading, I realized I had a 4.3-RELEASE CD
handy.  So I tried it.  It installed without issues, but nothing seemed to
work post-boot.  That is to say Intel PRO/100 VE network adapter was not
recognized.  I searched the archives and found one instance of someone
asking about the Intel PRO/100 VE NIC.  The responder said to turn off PNP
in the BIOS.  The original poster responded backing saying "thanks", that
turning off PNP in the BIOS did the trick.  I started to really get my hopes
up.  I turned off PNP too, but the box still didn't recognize the PRO/100 VE
adapter.  I figured it was a new card and not supported yet, so decided that
I had better wait for the 4.4 ISO image.

Well, the 4.4 ISO image hangs at exactly the same spot as the 4.4 floppies
did--just as it begings to mount the root partition:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a

Then absolutely nothing.  Came back 10 hours later and it was still sitting
there, just like I left it :-(

Things I've tried:

1. Search all archive, google, etc.
2. Enabling/Disabling PNP in BIOS.
3. hw.pci.ignore_pcibios=1
4. hw.pcic.intr_path=1
5. hw.pcic.irq=0
6. hw.pcic.ignore_function_1=1
7. userconfig_script_load="YES"
8. In the hopes that a more "fresher" version of stable would fix the
hanging and NIC recognition problems, I installed 4.3, used another machine
to cvsup to 4.4-STABLE, copied /usr/src to a CD and then to the notebook,
did a make world and a make kernel.  Resulted in 4.4-STABLE cvsup'ed as of
last night.  Hung as usual.

I can install 4.3, but it doesn't recognize my NIC.  I can't seem to be able
to install 4.4 because it hangs at "Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a",
even if cvsup'ed to present.

1. Is the Intel PRO/100 VE supported at all?  In 5.0-CURRENT perhaps?  Via a
patch?  It *is* supported under Linux.  See
http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strTypes=PLU%
2CDRV%2CARC%2CSPH&ProductID=407&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21 .  I
installed Mandrake 8.1 and it worked flawlessly.
2. I know the modem isn't supported, but how about the audio card?
3. In one reference I found
(http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/notes117/kernel), a kernel config (for
a different VAIO model) included an option for the Sony "jog dialer"
(options spic).  Funny thing is, I can't find this option in LINT.  Was it a
custom hack or what?
4. I've seen some examples of working VAIO kernels that show the entry
"options ATA_STATIC_ID" either uncommented or commented in the kernel
config.  What does this do, exactly?
5. I've seen some examples of working VAIO kernels that show the entry
"options ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA", but I can't find any mention of this option
in LINT.  hat does this do, exactly, and is it supported [still]?
6. Is "device pcic" enough, or do I need to add on the irq and io params,
etc.  I've seen conflicting examples.
7. Am I correct that 32-bit CardBus Cards, such as the 3Com FEM656C Global
10-100+56K is not supported?  Will they ever be?
8. I can borrow a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet+Modem 33.6 pcmcia card from a
friend.  Is it supported?