Date:      Thu, 01 May 1997 09:10:43 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Sichao Wang" <wangs@ttc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question on TCPDUMP with FreeBSD

--==_Exmh_869255165P

"Sichao Wang" writes:

>      Just addtional info here, I checked the man page for tcpdump,
>      it said " onece super user put the host in promiscuos mode using
>      pfconfig(8) ...".  But there is no executible pfconfig in the
>      BSD (i also checked the package list).

pfconfig(8) is a DEC-ism.  Don't worry about it unless you're running Ultrix
or OSF/1 (er, Digital UNIX).

What my tcpdump manpage says is (in part):

     Under  Ultrix and Digital UNIX: Once the
     super-user  has  enabled  promiscuous-mode  operation  using
     pfconfig(8),  any user may run tcpdump.  Under BSD: You must
     have read access to /dev/bpf*.

(Not sure how to get you up and running though.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_869255165P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM2jAgKjOOi0j7CY9AQE5+AQAiMqN0aExCD1d9zU7EmqNtVjCyakrJtRX
/1CdN5K0zkO6sduXBXe/dRR9vgm3KlFHtG9lyObblbW+E+6d9H55RWcL3qL9kWW8
GUvKPvesGAsW5vNp7PbaoZeRPqvDnSbQU41Gaw8jfFxaAL6a03rSfz05ZO1scv71
3D2zx2mubiY=
=HLu5
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_869255165P--