Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:37:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: at_shutdown going away

That's right, systems will never shut down.  8)

Seriously though, I'm in the process of replacing a number of the
ad-hoc event handler callout lists in the kernel (most notably the
at_shutdown and apm* lists) with a generic implementation.

The upshot of this is that at_shutdown will go away.  The old calls:

  at_shutdown(func, arg, queue)
  at_shutdown_pri(func, arg, queue, priority)

will be replaced with

  EVENTHANDLER_REGISTER(queue, func, arg, priority)

Due to the way the event handler works, this means that event handler
functions which were originally

  void func(int howto, void *arg)

will become

  void func(void *arg, int howto)

This is unfortunate but more or less unavoidable.

I will be converting all users of at_shutdown in the kernel to the new
mechanism, but it's of some concern to me that there may be external
code using the old at_shutdown* interfaces that may benefit from a
compatibility interface (which could be done relatively easily).

Is there significant interest in having this implemented?

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org