Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:06:10 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communication prohibited by filter ??

Hi!

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 12:03:09PM -0400, Walter Brameld wrote:
> After doing a make world a few days ago and again this morning, when I
> try to run knapster it tells me it can't connect to the server. When I

Well, I have been getting the same error using the console napster client for
BSD (nap-0.9b from ports) it says "Error connecting socket". Now, I
remembered, that this was last displayed when an upgrade was needed to the
client. However, there was no new port available so I went straight to the
author's home page only to find that it had an upgarde for Linux (1.1beta)
but none for BSD. I downloaded it and installed it, and whooops: everything
worked again. So I must assume that the folks at Napster did change the
protocol again and so broke backward compatibility, but since they use
closed-source sw, they did not tell anyone. And it also led me to conclude
that the author of this particular client was somewhat Linux-centric beacuse
he updated the Linux client twice already, but the BSD client remained
unchanged.  I must assume that other clients not officially
supported by Napster (that is, all clients apart from the Windows platform)
were hit by this, too.

Of course, I could use the Linux client just fine, but it has a problem with
our syscons somwhere, because it just works great on a Debian 2.1 box over
here but on FreeBSD no matter what, it always does this: you enter a
character and it automatically starts a new line below the current one. What
you typed appears in the new line too. So if you type: /search, you will
have 7 lines, with each one having one character more of your input.
If you hit "Enter" and the screen gets repainted, everything goes back to
normal but as soon as you type it hits again. This is very annoying because
these lines can easily take up half of your screen and push the main window
out of sight. (NB the same thing happens when I connect to the Linux box via
ssh. If I use it via console, it works normally. So it is definately
FreeBSD-related. Weird...)

Just my observations...

Regards:
Szilveszter ADAM