Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:17:32 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>, Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome 1.2 on FreeBSD?

At 9:40 AM -0400 8/17/00, Andresen,Jason R. wrote:
>Paul Jansen wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed Xfree 4.0.1 on my FreeBSD 4.0
> > system.  I want to install a nice Window Manager, and
> > I thought I'd have a look at Gnome.  I was just
> > reading the 'requires' part in the ports collection
> > and it looks like I have to install like 42 or so
> > other packages before I can get gnome to work.  Is
> > this true, or can I leave some out?  Is there a script
> > that I can run that will install the lot including all
> > the dependencies?
>
>Good news for you: the 'requires' parts in the ports field
>are ports-builder internal information, you don't have to
>worry about them.   Just cd to the gnome ports directory
>type make and it will take care of installing all of those
>dependancies itself.

If all I want is a window manager, then it is not necessarily
"good news" that gnome automatically builds all those ports.
All I am looking for is something a little nicer looking than
twm, with multiple rooms (or whatever they'd be called in the
land of gnome).  That does not mean I want to build every
application which references any gnome library, just so the
window manager can put all of those things in it's menus.

I am not sure what a good solution would be, and whatever it
is I imagine it would require a fair amount of work to sort
out.  I'm just saying that "building everything" is not
necessarily a GoodThing.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute