Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:34:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Costello <chris@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/31238: `hpijs' process hangs unkillably in `devbuf' state

>Number:         31238
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       `hpijs' process hangs unkillably in `devbuf' state
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD holly.calldei.com 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #1: Sun Oct 7 16:56:12 CDT 2001 chris@holly.calldei.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Holly i386

   The GhostScript helper process, `hpijs' (for the DeskJet et. al.
Hewlett-Packard printers), will hang after printing a page or two,
and will not be killable:

20317 daemon   -20   0  1488K   128K devbuf   0:00  0.00%  0.00% hpijs

   More information in the audit trail as I start adding
debugging stuff to my system.  So far, I _think_ I've deduced
that it's a memory leak, as `ksp->ks_memuse' exceeding
`ksp->ks_limit' is the only place where malloc() will sleep.
I've currently not tracked down the source of the memory leak.

>How-To-Repeat:

   Printing anything exceeding usually two or three pages using this driver
will do the trick.

>Fix:

   Not sure yet.  Going to work on it.  Input or verbal abuse (delivering
at least helpful guidance or a solution) is welcomed!