Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:42:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Viren Shah <vshah@rstcorp.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, richard@pegasus.com
Cc:        viren@viren.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable SCSI caching controller?

>}
>} We currently have a 2.2.6-BETA NFS server which we are
>} planning to upgrade to 3.2-stable.
>}
>} We are looking for a caching SCSI controller (currently
>} it uses the onboard 7880 wide controller). [...]
>
>Why?

Mainly because it is an NFS server, and my belief is that the more
that the controller caches, the faster (hopefully) the servers I/O
performance should be. Am I mistaken in this? If so, I would like to
know why this doesn't hold true.

>Sticking with mainstream hardware, wherever possible, is a very
>good idea when dealing with pc-Unix.

Well, DPT seems mainstream enough (at least in the FreeBSD
community).

Thanks
Viren
--