Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:02:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC stack-smashing extension

In article <20020108030952.A91323_raven.robbins.dropbear.id.au@ns.sol.net>,
	tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au writes:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 09:19:48AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>
>>   - Anyone have any experience with it, good, bad, or otherwise?
>
> Installed a copy of gcc 3.0.2 with the patch applied, tried compiling
> some simple programs with gcc -S -fstack-protector, checked the
> assembly language output and saw nothing even resembling protection.
> I assume I messed up the install somehow, but didn't bother trying to
> figure out what.

IIUC, it [mainly] sees that pointers preceed buffer space. If you
had coded the opposite, it should have changed them around, no?

>>   - Any reason why I wouldn't want this?
>
> It's claimed that people have used versions of FreeBSD compiled with
> the ssp patch, and the ideas and descriptions sure look nice.
> It didn't work for me, though.

If Kris K. is one of 'em, and his boxen are running fine with sources
built with the patch, that's pretty compelling evidence that it does
no harm, to say the least.

>>   - Any plans to merge it into the FreeBSD-distributed GCC?
>
> This has been discussed on this list recently:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=220254+223170+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-security/20020106.freebsd-security
>
> In short, "no", but read that message for the reason.

Just read it. I can appreciate this view, yes.

> Tim

Dave