Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:02:54 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Steve Khoo <steve@gordian.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /kernel: panic: ufs_lick: recursive lock not expected...

> > > 2.2.8-STABLE NFS server crashing frequently.

> > I've got a feeling we've seen this on a busy 3.X nfs server, but
> > we haven't seen it recently. I'm not sure it we fixed it ourselves,
> > or if it was something that was fixed as a result of some of Matt
> > Dillon's cleanups.

> Hmmm.... the process ID given by the error message does belongs to
> nfsd.  Is there anything I can do to further debug this?  Let me know if
> more info is needed.

I've asked around here, and we think the problem just went away,
probably after an upgrade to a more recent 3.X kernel. Your best
bet would be to upgrade or replace the server with a FreeBSD 4-STABLE
machine I'd say. Massive improvements were made to the NFS code
last summer.

If you really want to try and debug the problem you're going to
have to get kernel dump from the panic and get back traces to figure
out what is going on. Have a look at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

for details.

	David.