Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:08:32 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Przemyslaw Frasunek <przemyslaw@frasunek.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: panic: bufwrite: buffer is not busy???

On 15.01.2011 01:37, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> I also have stability issues on RELENG_8.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153497
>>
>> And for one of my servers (8.2-PRERELEASE/amd64 with 4GB RAM) I just cannot obtain crashdump,
>> it cannot finish to write it. For example, it happened an hour ago:
>>
>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>> cpuid = 2; apic id = 04
>> fault virtual address   = 0x200000040
>> fault code              = supervisor read data, page not present
>> instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff803cc979

Hi all,

I believe this netgraph/mpd stability problem it solved by glebius' patches.
I have been testing them in lab and in production for many weeks and they just
eliminated my panics altogether. Those patched have been commited to HEAD and RELENG_8.

You could want to try them out just by updating to latest 8-STABLE.

Btw, I've also solved my problem with unfinishing crashdumps: for some historic
reasons I was running stripped kernel within my NanoBSDs.
Switching back to normal, unstripped kernel solved this and I've got crashdumps
that finally helped Gleb Smirnoff to fix bugs in Netgraph and if.c

For those who are interested, here are mentioned patches:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netgraph/ng_base.c#rev1.185
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/net/if.c#rev1.399

Eugene Grosbein