Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 11:37:07 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        kent@tfd.com, mark@grondar.za
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: `make -DCLOBBER world' fails

>> The problem is that programs are compiled & run to generate
>> some libs before `crt0.o' is created.
>>
>> Examples include "gnu/lib/libgmp" and "lib/libmytinfo".
>>
>> This problem could be prevented by moving the
>>
>> 	cd ${.CURDIR}/lib/csu/i386 &&
>> 		${MAKE} depend all install ....
>>
>> to the beginning of the lib make.

>I agree with this. May I do it?

The libraries CLOBBERing step is almost usless.  I would just remove
it.  The point of it is to stop things getting linked with old
static libraries and objects.  However, many utilities are now
linked before the libraries are CLOBBERed, so the CLOBBERing step
only makes a difference for a couple of build utilities built before
building csu.  The utilities built before the libraries are
installed only work if the new includes are not too inconsistent
with the old shared libraries.  The utilities built after CLOBBERing
the old static libraries but before installing the new libraries
only work if they are linked shared and the old shared libraries are
not too inconsistent...

Bruce