Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 10:04:02 -0400
From:      Otter <otter@otter.cc>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: heads up on adduser and X

Gary Kline wrote:

>   Awhile ago I asked this list for any insight about why I couldn't bring
>   up X on some ~test accounts that I set up weeks ago.   No response so
>   I rolled up my sleeves and here is what I discovered.
>
>   Be careful about choosing options when you use the adduser script.
>   Rather than simply choose the defaults, I chose <user> and the group
>   ``wheel'' which caused permission problem with xdm or startx.  When
>   I modified the passwd and group files to <user>:<user> X was much
>   happier.
>
>   Hope this saves a few others some head-scratching... !
>
>   gary kline

I'm in the system as a member of "wheel" group and I have never had
problems with permissions of xdm or startx. I've never had those
problems with a 2.2.x or any 3.x release. I'm running 5.0 now... still
running smoothly. Do you have XF86 4 installed? I'm still on 3.3.6. I'm
curious to hear why this is a problem for you.
-Otter