Date:      09 Sep 1997 11:46 EDT
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortel.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! keyboard lockups - could be kernel bug ?

Terry wrote:

> Somone else was reporting serial port lockups when they were hitting
> their IDE drive hard.

How well supported is the 430TX chipset?  As I mentioned, with my old
motherboard ( ASUS T2P4 w. 430HX chipset ) everything worked flawlessly.
I guess its always possible that I have a flaky motherboard, but I don't
understand why the symptoms show up under `xdm' and not `startx'.

The other bogon I noted with this board ( as mentioned in my previous
post ) is that the AUTO_EOI_X kernel options were causing my system to
freeze on boot up. The IDE disks would probe correctly, but lock up during
fsck'ing ( disk access leds stuck on ). Removing these options from the
kernel solved the problem.

Perhaps an appropriate kernel option change could fix my keyboard problem?

Andrew.

--

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         MFS                     #Memory File System
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG
options         NSWAPDEV=2
options         "CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU"
options         USER_LDT
options         "MD5"
options         PERFMON

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0x80ff80ff vector wdintr

device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM
options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM

device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options         MAXCONS=3               # number of virtual consoles

device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13 vector npxintr
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device          ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      2
pseudo-device   ppp     2
pseudo-device   sppp                    #Generic Synchronous PPP
pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   tun     2
pseudo-device   pty     128
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   speaker         #Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
pseudo-device   vn              #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device   ccd     4       #Concatenated disk driver

#options        "AUTO_EOI_1"
#options        "AUTO_EOI_2"

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330