Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:56:31 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        David Hawkins <dhawk@river.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Trying to upgrade: 2.1.7.1 to 2.2.5

On Wednesday, 12th November 1997, David Hawkins wrote:

>I'm trying to upgrade to 2.2.5 from 2.1.7.1
>
>I've been running cvsup for the past few weeks to get the files
>in sync, but hadn't tried compiling until now.

[disaster elided]

During the 2.2.5 beta period I upgraded the same box from 2.1.5 to 2.2.5
several times using just the source.  You should have no trouble if you
take note of a couple hints:

1) put the source in /usr/src (and be sure it is *not* read-only)
2) make sure you have 'mail' and 'network' in /etc/group
3) in /usr/src, run 'make buildworld' (you might like to redirect the output)
4) check that the stuff in /usr/obj looks good and the error logs were ok
5) in /usr/src, run 'make installworld'
6) update /etc from /usr/src/etc by hand, very carefully.

That's it.  The magic happens in 'make buildworld'.

Stephen.