Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:11:08 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Ian Cartwright" <ian351c@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPSec VPN Client behind Firewall

ian351c@home.com said:
> Dave (the author of this patch) apparently has written an IPSec proxy
> module for ipfilter. Is there any way to incorporate this code into
> ipfw, which (if my understanding is correct, a small but real
> possibility ;-) is based on ipfilter source? If so, would this be the
> forum to put this request to? I am tempted to try to hack this in
> myself, but I don't understand how (if?) the ipfilter code relates to
> the ipfw code in the source tree.

Ipfilter and ipfw are related in much the same way as Fortran and C
(read "they're not").

However, as ipfilter is supported on FreeBSD you could quite happily
change from ipfw to ipfilter and then apply the patches.  Note that
this will also require changing your NAT daemon as well.

Both packages are excellent, so don't be concerned about losing out
in some way by switching.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319