Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:21:50 +0100
From:      Omar Gani <omargani@iol.it>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.0 & mouse

Ciao,

I think initially I had the same problem using M$ Intellimouse /w XFree86-4.
I edit XF86Config, changing:
Protocol "Sysmouse" to Protocol "auto"

then everything works smoothly...

btw I notice my XF86Config: Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
yours: /dev/sysmouse"

anyway if Protocol "auto" doesn't work try run:
XFree86 -configure

this should make a XF86Config.new file in /root/, the mouse should work
fine so just copy the mouse section to your actual /etc/XFree86Config

Ciao