Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet Network + FreeBSD?

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Ernest Hua wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried to use Metricom's Ricochet modems with FreeBSD?

We had a most wonderful discussion about this recently.

Yes, the Ricochet modems work wondefully with FreeBSD, either iijppp or
pppd.  I'm probably violating an NDA, but apparently Metricom is
developing a application note to go along with the modems on how to set it
up with FreeBSD.

Basically, you set up the Ricochet just like any other modem, other than
it runs at 38400 bps maximum.  The biggest trick is getting the chat
script to work properly with the gateway.  I go through the UofO and it
has a very simple login sequence, but logging in through Metricom's main
Internet service will be different.

I can provide my user ppp configuration block on request.