Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:07:08 -0800
From:      obrien@NUXI.com (David E. O'Brien)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk support for uncompressing manpages

Satoshi Asami writes:
> This adds a new variable MANCOMPRESSED to be defined if the man page
> is already compressed by the default install.

> If this is defined by the port, and NOMANCOMPRESS is defined by the
> user, the manpages are uncompressed after installation.

How does this affect USE_IMAKE ports?  Will we have to add MANx= sections
for X11 ports?  Looking at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/FreeBSD.cf and
/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk, I can't find where we don't compress the
manpages if NOMANCOMPRESS is defined.  I'm sure I'm missing something
somewhere...

> In case you are wondering, this is a step towards building appropriate
> PLISTs depending on the value of NOMANCOMPRESS.

Are we talking about autogeneration part of pkg/PLIST?  If not, do we
want to look at getting the manpages from PLIST?  I see room for
inconsistancies between MANx= and pkg/PLIST.

--
-- David    (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)