Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:21:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw: several equal rules under same number bug

Andrey A. Chernov wrote:

    > I use equal "ipfw add" several times from the script, but
    > the rule number was the same all times. I expect that rule
    > is replaced, not added with same number several times.

No.  There can be multiple rules with the same number.  If you run
multiple "ipfw add" commands with the same number, they are stored
(and executed) in the order in which they were added.

Having multiple =identical= rules with the same number doesn't make
too much sense, since -- as you noticed -- the ones after the first
will never match (unless the rule has a "count" action, in which
case all of the identical rules will match).

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/