Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:58:20 +0000
From:      freebsd@isvara.net
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Best" Fast Ethernet Card

Hi Karl,

Karl Denninger wrote:

> If I needed to choose a fast ethernet card for -Current, and wanted to get
> the one with the lowest system overhead and best performance, which one
> would it be?
>
> Low system overhead is the key here.  I'm starting to see things that look a
> lot like system CPU starvation with the SMC Etherpower 10/100s here on some
> of our fileservers.

The recently released 3com Fast Etherink XL (rev B) 3C905B NIC is the best money
can buy (apart from server cards costing upwards of 250UKP).
It has lower CPU usage than any other card, helping it to give the fastest
performance.

Check it out on:
    http://www.3com.com/products/dsheets/400250a.html#Parallel
and