Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 02:02:38 +0100
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Charles Cox <cscox@Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE and screen lock

Hi Charles,

> When I lock the screen in KDE, why does it later refuse to let me in, even with
> the correct password?  This is somewhat irritating because I would like to be
> able to lock my screen, and having to CTRL-ALT-BKSPC X each time is
> not too cool.

This is in KDE 1 isnīt it? Is it possible to regain access, if you start X as
root (which you shouldnīt do normally, of course?)
Iīve read two explanations so far, the second one being more plausible to me:
- A problem with the correct permissions for some kde executables
- A problem with the correct password libraries linked to the kde binaries. Look
if your root password is different to your user password in terms of DES vs.
MD5. This is true for me and I think it was O. Hartmann, who stated this first
on this list.

The only solution I know about is switching to KDE 2, which is a big download
and a long compile run, but itīs worth it, I think, if you want to stick with
KDE.

Ciao
Siegbert