Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:58:45 -0100
From:      Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to 'make' sfio?

Hello,

I want to experiment with the mod_fastcgi for Apache. I've recompiled the
httpd w/necessary changes. I need to do similarly for perl.

According to http://www.fastcgi.com/kit/doc/fcgi-perl.htm, I've got two=
* use the sfio library (recommended), or
* Open Market's proprietary stdio replacement.

I would like to follow the first option.

So I've fetched sfio-oct95.tar.gz from nearby, and placed the contents in a
temporary location. I've read the READMEs and [mM]akefile. I inserted iffe
into my path, and tried make.

What I got back was an error from iffe, complaining about a bad
substitution. I edited makefile to ensure iffe was run with ksh (having had
earlier problems with csh that ksh remedied), and it got a bit further. What
it tells me now is:

[snip]
export CC; CC=3Dcc; /usr/local/bin/ksh ../../../bin/iffe run features/sfio
cc -c -I. -O sfclose.c
In file included from sfclose.c:1:
sfhdr.h:619: conflicting types for `lseek'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:84: previous delcaration of `lseek'
sfhdr.h:650: conflicting types for `recv'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:331 previous declaration of `recv'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
[snip]

gcc     is version 2.6.3
freebsd -----"---- 2.1.5

Has anybody else seen this before? Know what to do?

There is a high probability I might do something wrong somewhere. I just
don't know what, as I am very new to FreeBSD and now (almost) next to
nothing about UN*X.

(Ideally, sfio would have have been 'ported' to freebsd, I should think)

Thank you for making a great system!

Are Bryne

Communiqu=E9 DA                            Email: admin@communique.no
Gaustadall=E9en 21                         Phone: +47 22 95 86 77
N-0371 Oslo, Norway