Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 22:13:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Watson <scanner@webspan.net>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, chris@usa.nai.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What about... was: Re: -Stable, credit card donations to FreeBSD, Inc.

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Paul Traina wrote:

> I can only speak for myself, but *I* do this for fun.  If someone was
> paying money to FreeBSD, Inc. for "support" and I was obligated to read
> their mail,  they're going to nag me for support because they expect it.
Support bad.. very very bad :)

> I'm afraid when I work for money, I take the job seriously, and I charge
> appropriately, and I suspect that most people reading this list would be
> utterly aghast if they heard what I charge.

> If you want a commercially supported BSD based operating system, there's
> a wonderful one already available.  If you want to put up with the vagaries
> of FreeBSD, which has a rich contributor pool (thankfully not as rich as
> the Linux crowd),  then you're welcome.
gack you had to mention the "L" word didnt you.

> Writing new code is fun.  Keeping other people's computers running is less
> so.  We do the later because we think FreeBSD is cool and like to spread
> the word.

> I was originally violently opposed to dropping the concept of a -stable
> branch,  but supporting only -current is starting to sound better and
> better every time I think about it.
I have come around to that thinking myself since the day after i started
my gripe about -stable sticking around. I think what we are seeing here is
that FreeBSD has become so popular among corporate and mission critical
places, That these places are run by suits or admins who are used to
"commercial" grade OS's. Which FreeBSD pounds into the ground i believe.
And these people are not grasping the concept of how little help you folks
have. And that this is not a commercial OS. The comments of david and
yourself and a few others the last week has projected a feeling that some
of you are just burning out on this project. I would ahte to see that
happen, and im hoping that if nothing else comes out of this that the core
team gets more help and more donations of a financial nature to help
lighten the enourmous load you guys have. Im quite comfortable now having
gotten used to -stable for my ISP and taken it for granted that going back
to the old way of just releasing snaps of the upcoming version at
intervals of stability is the best way to go. I dont think theres much of
a need to discuss the demise of -stable anymore. It's just to big of a
monster to tackle right now with given resources.
Besides if this -stable issue doesnt die soon im gonna have to start
greping my mail and rm'ing anything with stable in it :)

These are my rantings for today.

Chris
--

===================================| Webspan Inc., ISP Division.
  FreeBSD 2.1.0 is available now!  | Phone: 908-367-8030 ext. 126