Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:12:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "John E. Hein" <jhein@timing.com>
To:        "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl@omnitec.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Shell Keyboard Mapping for PC Keyboard?

Leland V. Lammert wrote at 22:45 -0500 on Oct 18:
 > We are looking at standardizing on FreeBSD for our ISP servers, .. but in
 > testing ran across some weird problems.
 >
 > FreeBSD seems to not support any of the PC keyboard mapping that CSH does
 > on Linux - Home/End/UP-DN Arrow (history buffer), Delete (current char),
 > Backspace (char left), Insert, .. <Esc> to <ctl>C.

Linux uses tcsh as its C shell:

linux% ls -alF /bin/*csh
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Mar  6  1999 /bin/csh -> tcsh*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       262184 Mar 21  1999 /bin/tcsh*

So you've been using tcsh instead of the standard ol' C shell all these
 years.  You just didn't know it.

Install the tcsh port under FreeBSD to use tcsh instead:

freebsd% cd /usr/ports/shells/tcsh
freebsd% su
freebsd# make install

Then leave the shell in your password entry as /bin/csh and do
 something like:

freebsd% cd ~
freebsd% mv .cshrc .tcshrc
freebsd% cat > .cshrc
if ( -x /usr/local/bin/tcsh ) then
 exec /usr/local/bin/tcsh
else
 source ~/.tcshrc
endif

Then in your .tcshrc file, use the following to set tcsh-only features:
if ( $?tcsh ) then
 # set tcsh specific variables here...
endif

 > Can anyone point me to a keyboard map/termsettings that will provide
 > standard PC keyboard functions?? Neither the us.iso nor us.unix map
 > anything except backspace, .. and it does not look like there are any more
 > US english options.

tcsh will give you the up/down/M-b/C-d/etc. keymappings by default (man tcsh
 for more options).

John