Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:24:22 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make release fails because kernel is too large

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
>Hmm, what was it Jordan said to me that made me agree to kill the 1200K
>boot floppy, "and with 1.44 we have plenty of space for a couple of years
>at least, well, maybe not that long time but you get the idea..."
>
>You were right.  What's next Jordan ?

What about using 1.68 or 1.72 MB floppies?

FDformat can make these kinds of disks for DOS systems
( ftp://ftp.univ-lille1.fr/pub/pc/coast/msdos/diskutil/fdform18.zip ,
 FDformat has sources included (PASCAL)).

I also read that mtools might be able to create >1.44MB floppies.

So what would it take to get FreeBSD to create 1.68/1.72MB floppies for the
release floppies?

That would give an extra 240-280K for the boot floppy.

Would fdimage need to be updated or replaced?

Scot