Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:34:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: DDS-2 (was: ....)

> > I'd definitely choose the HP1533A !
> > It is some three times faster than the Conner,
> > i.e. does 514KB/s (times compression factor).
> > Regarding DDS-2: I've heard multiple times, that DDS-2 tapes are not
> > reliable. And since somebody had recorded nuclear physics data on
> > DDS-2 tapes and had found no way to read back more than a few MB, I
> > tried myself and now would never again trust 120m DDS-2 tapes.

I strongly recommend the WANGDAT 3400DX DDS-2 device.  It has a hard time
with DDS-C tapes but it is a screamer on DDS-2.  I never had any trouble
with them and have used them on several different platforms.  On one system
I was regularly backing up more than 10 gig each day to one tape!

DDS-2 rules.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Netcom/Dallas