Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Just curious

I've been a user of FreeBSD for sometime now, and have subscribed to this
list on different occasions.  (Usually when I've come to a roadblock and
simply cannot figure out the answer or find a solution in the archives or
on the site)  One thing that I've noticed is that for the most part people
on the list try to help out as much as possible, but at least once or
twice a day I see really snotty responses to questions posted on the list.
I'm really curious as to why you would say "Read the FAQ" or "It's on the
site somewhere" rather than just give the answer if/when you already know
it.  While I understand that newbie questions or questions without enough
information can be annoying at times, a snotty response could turn off
potential users of FreeBSD.  I would think that the readers on this list,
much like myself, would like to see FreeBSD become a well known operating
system, and not because of a bunch of snotty people on the mailing list,
but rather because it simply is the best OS for the majority of user and
networking applications.

I expect the flames to come shortly, and I've prepared myself for it, but
maybe I'm missing something and will get a better explanation.

Long Live FreeBSD!!!

--Damon

                           _ _