Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:25:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        burton@vip.best.com (Burton Sampley)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup questions?

Burton Sampley asked, w.r.t. backup to a hard drive:
> Here's the output from df -k:
>
> bash$ df -k
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/wd0a       31775    17068    12165    58%    /
> /dev/wd0s1f   1411583   957399   341258    74%    /usr
> /dev/wd2s1e   2435758        1  2240897     0%    /usr2
> /dev/wd0s1e     63567     2522    55960     4%    /var
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
> /dev/wcd0c     640690   640690        0   100%    /cdrom
> bash$
>
> 1.  The second hard drive is wd2 mounted with the /usr2 file system.  Will
> the tar command above store /, /var and /usr on the /usr2 fs?  Do I need
> to do something different to accomplish what I want?  If so, then what
> command should I use?

For tar, you would want to name a file on the /usr2 filesystem, i.e.

	tar cvzf /usr2/backup.tar.gz / /var /usr

Note that the filesystem support will reduce the amount of storage you
can use on your second disk.

> 2.  If not, then do I need to un-mount wd2 and then give the above tar
> command?

Yup.  If you want to use the disk like it is a tape drive, don't
mount it.  You don't even need to put a partition table on it if
it's going to hold nothing but your backup.

> 3.  How would I restore the first drive if, I accidently 'toasted' it?

It should be possible to boot from a floppy, restore the partitions to
their original state, and just restore the backup.  You'd probably be
better off using dump/restore if you want to have this ability.  Dump
has the ability to dump a filesystem such that you can restore the
filesystem to its original state, not just re-write the files.

> 4.  Using the above tar command can I store more than 1 'generation' on
> the 2nd drive, space permitting?  I know I'll have t give each copy a
> different name to do this, but will it work?

You'd have to partition the disk in chunks and write the backups to
the various partitions.