Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:03:47 -0500
From:      Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos@firstbhph.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OTish: Alternative to MS Live?

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 5:50:46 pm Kurt Buff
wrote:
> All,
>
> Our new CEO wants me to poke holes in the
> firewall and install the MS client on a number
> of desktops to facilitate IM/videoconferencing
> for this.
>
> That makes me vaguely nauseous, for several
> security reasons (the client is historically
> vulnerable, poking holes in firewalls is risky,
> and internal corporate communications should
> stay internal - that'll do for a start...)
>
> I'm looking to stick an IM/Videoconference
> system in a DMZ instead.
>
> Does anyone know of a good alternative -
> preferably with a web interface, though that's
> not absolutely required?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kurt

Others may come up with better solutions, but you
might want to look at OpenFire for your IM needs
(I use it in my shop; it's secure and works
great), and maybe dimdim for vidconf (both
hosted - free for up to 20 conferees, and locally
installed options).

Dimitri

believed to be clean.