Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:03:58 +0100
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <chris@hexanet.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Radius bug ?

Keith Anderson wrote:

> Hi John
>
> I may have to hack the source.
> I have made a compleat ISP accounting software, but it still uses the 'users'
> file for perm ip's and hourly time limits.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Keith
>
> On 16-Feb-99 John Saunders wrote:
> > In nlc.lists.freebsd-questions you wrote:
> >> I have just started using the FreeBSD Radius port and found a problem.
> >> In my system every 15 minute a new 'users' file is created for radius.
> >> To get (radiusd-cistron-1.5.4.3) to read the new file I have to kill radiusd
> >> and
> >> start it up again.
> >> Is there any way around this problem ?
> >
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > As far as I know any radius server derived from the original Livingston
> > code needs to be restarted to load a new users file.
> >
> > I use radwatch on my system which will automatically restart the radius
> > server if it dies. You may want to try using that (with a shorter delay
> > before restarting radiusd) so that you may simply "killall radiusd" to
> > effect the reload. There will be a short downtime, but the radius clients
> > should retry a number of times anyway.
> >
> > When you authenticate from the system password file you hardly ever
> > need to reload the users file.

no that is not true with the livingston radiusd, there is a buildbm tools to
build the users.db and that is all. any users added will be taken into account
right away if they have added to the user.db file

Christophe Prevotaux                   Email: chris@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                           URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A Farman Sud                         Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
9 rue Roland Coffignot		       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
BP415
51689 Reims Cedex 2                    Use a real OS, use UNIX
FRANCE                                        FreeBSD