Date:      Tue, 11 May 2010 16:46:50 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: user friendliest gui

@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bonomi
> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:07 PM
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: RE: user friendliest gui
>

>> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 18:51:44 +0000
>> Subject: RE: user friendliest gui
>>
>> My users here, =A0"no gui" =3D "machine is broken"

>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com> wrote=
:
>> If that's all your doing on that system, maybe some restricted shell wit=
>> automagical scan script would be fine? =A0Just a thought. =A0Avoid GUI's=
 if you
>> can!
>>
>> Why? For most users GUIs are far easier to understand and use.
>
> Why?? =A0Because, In this case, the GUI is entirely -un-necessary-. =A0Th=
e user
> doesn't have to do anything other than stick the flash drive in the USB p=
ort.

> The machine does everything else. =A0*WITHOUT* any further user intervent=
ion
> required.
>
> Why bother with the GUI, when there is no inter-actiona required?

I'm going to advocate for a GUI here due to the possibility of a false
positive during malware detection.  The user should be given a choice
as to whether the infected file is cleaned, deleted or left alone.  If
the user chooses to keep the file, the user should also be able to
store the scan log onto the usb drive.  (Users should also be able to
decide that no log will be written to the drive.)  These things will
require interaction with the user.

There is also the possibility that the OP will want to add related,
optional services later.  One example might be the option to choose
whether the usb drive is scanned or completely erased by overwriting
the drive with zeros.

Another good use for the GUI, as scanning an 8GB or 32GB usb drive may
take some time, is to present a slideshow to the user about computer
security or, perhaps, an introduction to the wonderful operating
system that is running on the computer.

Andrew