Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:56:17 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Cc:        Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports management & subtree deletion?

+---- Beech Rintoul wrote:
| You need to add a textfile named "refuse" to your sup directory.
| List one per line: ports/directory name
| Then delete the directories. If you have a stock file tree the sup directory
| is in /usr/sup.

I already have that, and I've been using it for quite some time without
problems.  My refuse file (if it matters):

doc/de
doc/de_*
doc/es
doc/es_*
doc/fr
doc/fr_*
doc/ja
doc/ja_*
doc/nl
doc/nl_*
doc/ru
doc/ru_*
doc/zh
doc/zh_*
ports/astro*
ports/biology*
ports/cad*
ports/chinese*
ports/french*
ports/german*
ports/hebrew*
ports/japanese*
ports/korean*
ports/russian*
ports/vietnamese*

After creating the refuse file some months ago, I deleted the
directories I wasn't interested in and then followed it with a
successful cvsup.  cvsup updates and port builds work fine.

| On Monday 09 July 2001 10:25, Steve Tremblett wrote:
| > I have deleted directories from my ports tree because I'm not
| > interested in them (ie. various foreign-language stuff, some of the
| > scientific stuff etc.).  I just tried to generate the README.html files
| > with 'make readmes' from the /usr/ports directory, but it fails with
| > the following error:
| >
| > sjt-bsd /usr/ports # make readmes ===>  Creating README.html cd: can't
| > cd to astro ^C sjt-bsd /usr/ports #
| >
| > At the point of the ^C, the make process is hung, but there is no CPU
| > or IO activity.  I don't know what broke this, since I have never run
| > 'make readmes' before.
| >
| > My direct question is how to delete subtrees from /usr/ports while
| > still allowing 'make readmes' to work?  I have a feeling that it has
| > something to do with /usr/ports/INDEX, but that is just a guess.  I am
| > also guessing that other ports facilities besides README.html
| > generation won't work either.  General build & installation works
| > fine.
| >
| > As an aside for my own interest, how would I go about investigating
| > this further?  If a process is in a waiting state, how do I identify
| > what it is waiting for and what other process is holding the resource?
| >
| > Thanks for any and all information you may share
|
| --
| Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
|      Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
| /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
| \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
|  X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510

| with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

+---end quoted text---

--
Steve Tremblett
Cisco Systems