Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 02:00:53 -0700
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting off SCSI disks when two IDE disks also installed.

wes@intele.net stands accused of saying:
 % I've recently added an Adaptec SCSI controller to my system, which
 % already has two IDE drives.  I would like to boot FreeBSD from the
 % SCSI disk, but this doesn't seem to be working.  I'm certain I have

Michael Smith knowingly replied:
 > That's because it's impossible.  You can only boot from the first two
 > disks in your system.  This is basically a BIOS limitation.

I was afraid of that.  I keep thinking that with FreeBSD, you can make
a PC work pretty much as well as a *real* workstation.  Except you
keep bumping into the idiot limitations of the PC architecture (or
lack thereof).  <Sigh>

 % I've also tried both booteasy and OS-BS.  Any help?

 > Put a root filesystem on the IDE disk.

Will do.  Thanks for the quick info.  I guess I'll Re-organize
everything and boot FreeBSD from the little (420 Mb) IDE disk.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder