Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 94 23:29:51 +0300
From:      "Serge V.Vakulenko" <vak@gw.cronyx.msk.su>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Seagate ST01/ST02 driver uploaded

I put the new version of Seagate ST01/02, Future Domain TMC-885/TMC-950
driver to ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming, file `seagate.tgz'.
It would be great to see it in 2.1 to install it from my CD-ROM. :-)

It was not tested on Future Domain cards though: I don't have these
cards.  Are there any volunteers?

The README for the driver follows.

Best wishes,
Serge

This is new version of Seagate ST01/02, Future Domain TMC-885, TMC-950
SCSI driver for FreeBSD.  I started from the 2.0R version and mostly
rewrote it.  New features are:

1) New probe algorithm.  Old driver read the BIOS region of the adapter
   memory and find the copyright string.  The problem was in the BIOS itself:
   it conflicted with IDE disks.  The solution was to unplug it and
   make the probe algorithm to work without it.
2) Proper timeout handling in numerous places where the driver
   polls waiting for some event.
3) Assembler flagments added in critical places, mostly for data transfer
   to of from the target.  It was possible to make it faster,
   but at the price of decreasing reliability.
4) Target-dependent delays when waiting for REQ deassert event.
   Some devices seem to be slower (CD-ROMS, some tape drives),
   and some seem to be too fast (disks).  The driver tests the REQ
   deassert timeout for each target and then uses it for polling.
5) Device flags added for SCSI parity control and sense request
   priority control.
6) Generic cleanup, after which the driver became much more readable
   (at least by me:).
7) Target data parity error logging is limited to avoid log file overflow.
8) Manual page added.

The driver was tested on the following hardware:
     Adapter: Seagate ST02
        Disk: HP D1686
   Streamers: Archive Viper 150, Wangtek 5525
     CD-ROMs: Toshiba XM-3401, NEC CDR-25

Installation of the driver:

        rm /sys/i386/isa/seagate.c
        cp seagate.c /sys/i386/isa
        cp sea.4 /usr/share/man/man4
        cd /sys/compile/YOUR_CONF
        make
        make install
        reboot
---
Serge Vakulenko                 <vak@cronyx.msk.su>
Cronyx Ltd., Moscow             Unix consulting and custom programming
phone: +7 (095) 939-23-23       FreeBSD support
fax:   +7 (095) 939-03-00       Relcom network development