Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 19:17:44 -0500
From:      "Moritz Hardt" <mhardt@morix.de>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   router/proxy

Hello,

ok, here is the standard scenario: There is one big LAN and I need to
set up FreeBSD-Box with a cable modem to route packets from the LAN
to the internet.

Spontanously it came up my mind to set up a transperent proxy using
ipfw. That is an easy sloution, and I would know how to set it up and
maintain it. Now my question are, since I haven't tested it on a big
network:

Would it work fine even with a large number of computers without
slowing down?

What kind of hardware would you recommend, since I think I don't have
to use a really fast machine?

Would you rather set up a standard router using routed. Where are the
dis-/advantages?

Any thoughts are kindly appreciated.