Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/29205: Update need for /usr/port/www/apach13/Makefile

The following reply was made to PR ports/29205; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To: John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:11:23 -0500

 At 06:15 PM 7/24/01 -0700, John Von Essen wrote:

 >The Makefile has a bunch of bad ftp address for the apache source. About a
 >week ago, it would work on the 8th or 9th address in the list. Tonight
 >none of them worked.

 The current status I find of the 15 mirrors listed make chances of getting
 the source if the first one at apache.org is down very unlikely.

 One has a changed path, one points to the wrong server and the right one
 doesn't have 1.3.20, there are 6 that no longer mirror, one refuses
 connections, two time out, one doesn't have 1.3.20, which leave only 2
 mirror sites that have the tarball.  Grim isn't it.

 Further it seems that the official mirror list
 (http://www.apache.org/mirrors/) lists some mirrors that have been dead for
 over a year.

 David,

 I'm verifying mirrors for all the following apache* ports:

 apache13+ipv6
 apache13-fp
 apache13-modssl
 apache13-ssl
 apache13
 apache2
 apache13-contrib

 Also trying to provide some consistency to them, which is made more fun by
 the SSL and FP variants.  Figure those would be sorted with the extra
 required distfiles first and that should reduce the number of mirrors hit
 before all distfiles are fetched.

 Will preserve apache-contrib's %SUBDIR% usage when sorting and will add a
 few mirrors most likely, as one is out of date leaving only 3.

 Could use an opinion on whether to use still out-of-date mirrors when
 1.3.20 was released was on May 15th.  Considering there are number of
 others to replace them with.

 Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
 Systems/Network Administrator
 FreeBSD - the power to serve