Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:05:17 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

Paul Richards wrote:

> rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth) writes:
>
> > I agree that this was the logic behind the process. However, how often do
> > we really upgrade gcc, etc. ?
> >

> I've mentioned this before, I think our build system is a hangover
> from our early days when build tools were changing frequently. It's
> rare for this to happen these days and when it does we can special
> case it for that release in the bootstrap target, which is what we've
> done anyway for new tools that have been added (like lint).
>
> If you do a make depend once and then just type make after each
> upgrade everything just works at the moment since the bootstrapping
> stuff is redundant.
The make depend is not even needed the first time
because there are no objects and the make is forced to happen.
then as we are doing it, we should use Gcc's  -MD option.
This generates the dependency file as a byproduct of the compile for
next time.. This is the way the dependency is done on OSF1
and works fine.. The OSF kernel ends up with
a dependency file after teh first build.. you don't need
it before that becasue everything needs to be rebuilt anyhow..