Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:40:55 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bjn@visi.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 CVSUP 2-6-97 20:00 USA EDT

Brent J. Nordquist stands accused of saying:

> I understand the philosophy behind /usr/src/contrib, but I'm not
> sure I fully understand how it works in practice when making the
> world.  Do you have to do something special to get the /usr/src/contrib
> version of an application to be the one used?  Are there supposed
> to be symbolic links pointing into /usr/src/contrib if that's the
> one being used?  (Do you get the /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin version of
> an app. by default unless you take some additional step?)

Code in /contrib is referenced by a Makefile in the 'correct' place
using the '.PATH' feature of make.  Have a look at
/usr/src/lib/libtcl/Makefile for an example.

There's not supposed to be duplicates of anything in the tree; the gdb
case was a slip-up on Joerg's part.  There are no symbolic links
involved.