Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:46:49 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken sh(1)?

Martin Cracauer wrote:

> You mix up variable settings for just one command vs. permanent ones;

> export VAR=foo
> VAR=bar sh -c 'echo $VAR'
> echo $VAR
> ==>
> bar
> foo
>
> This is correct, the second line's variable settings only affect the
> command behind it. The next command will have the original value
> restored.

I know this is correct and I'm even depending on it. The problem is that
sh's caching has been poluted in such a way it can't recover.

> > cd /usr/src; make -f Makefile.inc1 par-obj
> > ./x.sh: make: not found

> > At this point PATH contains /usr/bin, so I don't think it's PATH
> > related.
>
> No, $PATH is restored to what is was before the first make command.

Yes, I know and as I said it contains /usr/bin. See other mail.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/