Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:50:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FWIW: More questionable softupdates+vinum benchmarks

On Thursday, 17 February 2000 at 10:35:17 -0800, Parag Patel wrote:

> Hello.  I have a friend's quad PPro box temporarily sitting in my garage
> that I've been using to play with 4.0-CURRENT and vinum.  Since the last
> series of bug-fixes a few weeks ago, everything works as advertised.
>
> Just for my own curiosity, I've been running some simple (probably
> questionable) tests involving find|cpio of the source tree and then
> buildworld -j16 on various vinum volumes.
>
> So I thought I'd forward the results to current, for what it's worth.
>
> The biggest (non)surprise is how big a difference softupdates makes.
> Nice!
>
> buildworld -j16:
> src & obj on IDE disk (softupdates)
>      5676.29 real      7701.09 user      6133.60 sys
> src & obj on /noraid volume (1 drive, softupdates)
>      6053.86 real      7969.94 user      7601.81 sys

I'm not overly happy with these results.  I suspect that a throttling
mechanism I put in a few months back, which limited the number of
simultaneous transactions per drive, might have something to do with
it.  Could you change the values of VINUM_MAXACTIVE and
DRIVE_MAXACTIVE (in /sys/dev/vinum/vinumvar.h) to 30000 each
(effectively disabling the throttling), recompile the kld and try
again please?  Previously, I had limited the number of transactions to
10, but I've just completed a make world here, and the drives had up
to 400 outstanding transactions each, so there's quite a possibility
the limitation is causing performance problems.

Greg