Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:03:33 -0500
From:      "John D. Morrison" <jdm1intx@airmail.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   resolving security and permissions problems

I've installed FBSD 2.2.5, read the manual, and have exhausted
all ideas about how to solve the problems I'm encountering.  When
I set up my user ID, I made sure to include it in the wheel group, but
it doesn't seem like I'm getting the permissions I should.  I'm getting
permission denied messages in /sbin, even though all the flags
are identical to files in /bin.  Also, my shell and login scripts in my
home directory are not visible to me unless I change to su.

Also, my path always shows up the same when I use env, no
matter what changes I make to my .login file in my user directory
after I change to su.  The path in my .login file includes
/usr/X11R6/bin, but when I do an env, the path shown does not
include it.  If I try to use env to change the path to include
/usr/X11R6/bin,
it doesn't work.  It just reverts back to the original.

And even su doesn't seem to have the level of access it should.  I
get permission denied messages even with it.  One thing I did
notice is that when I  change to su, I get a message saying:
root:kerberos: 'root not a member of ACL' or something along those
lines.

Finally, when I installed FBSD (from CDROM), I specifically remember
telling it to include games as part of the distribution, but the only
directory I have under /usr/games is hide, which seems to be empty.
Even as su I don't get anything with ls.

I'm very frustrated.

John M.
jdm1intx@airmail.net