Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 00:33:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gus Bourg <gus@Bourg.Net>
To:        "hahalee(ÀîÁè)" <hahalee@163.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>, Steinar Haug <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Subject:   Re: Compaq PL3000/NICs, Again.

I have several PL3000s running. Heres what I did:

I personally could not get into the advanced mode, so as I was about to
throw the compaqs off the 18th floor, I noticed SCO Unix was an option so
I selected it. This fixed the SMP kernel crashes, however it would only
probe the first PCI bus. My machines don't have built in ethernet, they
have OEM'd ether express cards. The first pci bus starts at the bottom pci
slot (the ones that are shared ISA), and extends to at least the third
one. I just moved the network card around. I chose not to use the symbios
cards, and opted for DPT raid cards as my stuff is semi-mission critical.
I'm not sure if the toying I had to do applies to all cards, but the DPTs
were a pain to get to work in the compaq box and their tech support was
as bad as dealing with M$. The solution for it was to turn on the EBDA
relocation option. If anyone happens to have a good solution for the
second pci bus problem I'd like toear what they did. I'm not sure if I
mentioned this, but I also had to manually set the MAXMEM option in
my kernel config as the bios apparently sends extended information. Also
when compiling the kernel, you may need to set NINTR to 52. I hope this
helps. :-)

Gus Bourg