Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 96 12:37:25 +0200
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        ports%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: NO_PACKAGE and NO_CDROM

asami@cs.berkeley.edu writes:
[deletia]
> What do you guys think about adding a NO_CDROM variable (name subject
> to change) that means "the distfile and package of this port can't be
> put and sold on a CDROM"?  If this is set in the Makefile, and the
> user has FOR_CDROM (name definitely subject to change) in the
> environment/Makefile/command line, it will act like a NO_PACKAGE port
> (i.e., "make package" will be a no-op).
>
> I'll have to be a bit more careful but since I usually do a full
> package fetch/rebuild before a release anyway, I'll just have to make
> sure that I have FOR_CDROM set during that stage.  And this will
> enable us to have more distfiles/packages on the ftp site.
>
> Comments?

Seems reasonable to me.

With this mechanism it seems like it would make sense to have a CDROM
target in the top-level makefile. You can then just "make CDROM", and
it would automatically set FOR_CDROM. Then you don't need to remember
to specially set it.

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de