Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:40:24 -0500
From:      Peter Philipp <pjp@dega.daemonium.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:40:05PM -0500, Dennis wrote:
> Im sure that Intel is really sweating over your decision.

I think they should.  When people realise they are buying into something
tainted and undisclosed only open to an 'elite' crowd (like dennis)
then people will look elsewhere.  There is something called responsibility
and honor also in the business world.  The consumer ignorance that has
exceeded ueber-extremes is coming to an abrupt halt as people are empowering
themselves with information on what exactly it is that they are buying into.
And.. in the end that's only fair.

> Using yourself as an example was brilliant. YOU are exactly the kind of
> engineer/company that I am talking about. YOU will release your design
> specs so the FreeBSD community will get to use your hardware instead of
> intels. Wooopee do.

All the power to him, at least here is someone that doesn't hide behind some
futile business model of hiding the scam behind closed doors.  This way of
doing things at least provides a product not for the sake of making more
money than the competition but raising the worlds trek to better engineering
and new limits.

> You, my friend, are a joke. Im sorry (other list members)...do you have any

You should be more sorry.  Whether open or closed discussion you leash out at
people putting them down and being plain insulting!  Please do yourself a
favour and drop the ego, as there is people out there than can put you down
and make you feel very miserable and alone in the end.  Be fair and others
will be fair to you.

> clue how much money intel makes, and how insignificant your (wrong) opinion
> is to them? and, while I dont have the actual numbers, I'll bet that intel

There is a lot more worth in being human and caring about all the things that
money can't provide.  Money in extremes (either very poor or very rich) makes
people very unhappy and you can see this if you'd be open to it.

> and 3com have well over 50% of the linux/BSD free software market without
> releasing their docs. Why? because they make good, cheap boards that are
> available from many sources worldwide.
>
> do you want to take that away from BSD users by "boycotting" their hardware?
>
> why cant this thread just die?

ditto. give it a rest.

--
Peter Philipp <pjp@daemonium.com>