Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 11:58:36 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very weird cvsup problem

see http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=27495 for a resolution.

this is the part I think that helped me:

     This was caused by the combination of a problem in the CVS
repository
     (which has been fixed) and a bug in CVSup (which has not been
     fixed).  Here is the recommended work-around.  After you do this
     (once) you shouldn't see the problem again.

     1. Delete the "jakarta-tomcat' directory from your ports tree with
     "rm -rf".

     2. Find your checkouts file.  It is named
     "/usr/sup/ports-all/checkouts.cvs:." if you are using the example
     "ports-supfile" from "/usr/share/examples/cvsup".  Or substitute
     your actual collection name for "ports-all" if you're doing things
     differently.  If you still don't know where to look, study the
     cvsup(1) man page very carefully.

     Once you find the checkouts file, edit it and delete all lines
     containing "jakarta-tomcat".

     3. Run cvsup in the usual way (without the "-s" option).

     http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=27495
     State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->feedback
     State-Changed-By: jdp
     State-Changed-When: Sat May 26 17:06:21 PDT 2001
     State-Changed-Why:
     I have added a patch to the "net/cvsup" and "net/cvsup-devel" ports
     which fixes this problem.  People who upgrade to the latest version
     of one of these ports will not need to apply the work-around
     described earlier in this PR.

     With this patch, CVSup will still complain that it cannot delete
     "files" because the directory is not empty.  However, it is now a
     warning rather than a fatal error, and the update will run to
     completion.  The warning will happen only once.  After emitting
     the warning, CVSup will fix the damage in the checkouts file to
     eliminate the problem.  On subsequent updates everything will be
     OK and no more warnings will occur.

     I have bumped PORTREVISION to 1, and added "p1" to the end of the
     version number printed by CVSup, to make it easy to determine
     whether you have the patched port or not.

     Note, the "cvsup-bin" port is NOT patched, and will not be patched.
     If you want to upgrade you will need to install the "cvsup" or
     "cvsup-devel" port.  Or, wait a few days until new packages appear
     on the FTP sites and install one of them.  These two packages are
     now self-contained -- they don't depend at runtime on any Modula-3
     packages.

     This ends the saga of this PR, but I will leave it in the
"feedback"
     state for a while longer to help prevent duplicates.

     http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=27495

jim

Joel Dinel wrote:

> I use the following command to update my ports tree :
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/src/supfile
>
> Here's the contents of supfile :
>
> st=cvsup.ca.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> ports-all tag=.
>
> This worked well up to now. Since the last 2 weeks or so, I get the
> following error when updating my source tree:
>
> Checkout ports/www/hypermail/files/patch-docs::Makefile.in
> Delete ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files
> Updater failed: Cannot delete "/usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files":
> Directory not empty
>
> and that is where cvsup stops. Surely enough, the folder is not empty. I delete the whole
> 'jakarta-tomcat' folder, and launch the command again. That (temporarily) solves it.
>
> I have not modified anything in my ports tree or my cvsup script since
> everything was OK. I never installed this port either.
>
> How can I solve this ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Joel Dinel
> TouchTunes Digital Jukebox, Inc.

Jim Arnold, Ohio.com Site Administrator
jim@ohio.com, (o) 330.253.9524 (c) 330.730.0797
I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
which has been up for 15 days as of 05/28/01 11:30:00 AM