Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Terry Cooper <tcooper1@telusplanet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD bootable floppy Script NOT WORKING

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Terry Cooper wrote:

> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:22:31 -0700
> From: Terry Cooper <tcooper1@telusplanet.net>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: FreeBSD bootable floppy Script NOT WORKING
>
> Ok, I'm frustrated out. Do people actually use this script because the only
> one I find is the the one referenced from freebsd.org.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html
> #AEN14848
>
> I cut and paste this script into a file in windows and then did a fetch from
> my server. When my script run's into the EOM command I get problems. I am
> running sh shell I think.
>
> cat << EOM
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.62 and EOM is just putting everything into one file. I
> retyped everything and getting the same problem. So I don't know if it's
> hidden characters or not. Is there a place to fetch this file!!!!! Because
> I'm going crazy.
>
> Also is this bootable floppy suppose to let me see something because so far
> all I get is a no /boot/loader.

* EOM is not a command, it's an end-of-text marker, similar to the one
used in Perl.

* There are text-file incompatibilities between Unix and DOS. If you're
copying/pasting the file from the website in Windows, ftp'ing it to a Unix
box and then trying to run it, all those extra linefeeds may cause
extremely bizzare errors.

I hate to say it, but if you can only get the Internet on your winbox, you
should probably fire up vi (or whatever editor you like) and enter it
manally. Or run a dos2unix utility on the script on your Unix box to set
it up and clear out those linefeeds.

That or use 'dd' as in my previous post :)

Good luck!

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg